Monday, May 30, 2011

Used it - The good, the bad, and the ugly. And also the "meh."

The good:
SN Beach Bunny bronzer sample

This actually worked pretty well on me. I'm learning that bronzers don't work for contour, because they're usually sparkly and warm toned, and contouring products should lean cool and matte. But if I try this as bronzer, it warms my face up pretty nicely without looking orange or dirty. I still have minis of a bunch of pressed bronzers, but it's on my short list.

The bad:
Pantene volumizing shampoo for fine hair sample.

I got this in the (in)famous Target sample bag. First off, it's floral. Second off, volumizing usually means "roughs up the cuticle to make it fluffy." Third off, it (again) seemed to only work when diluted or when I used an entire palmful (this stuff is thick). I'm not sad to see it go.

The ugly:
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers undereye concealer.

This is one of those things where my inner packaging whore got the best of me. It comes in a pan built into the lid of a jar for powder. In theory, you're supposed to be able to dot the cream concealer on your undereye, then set it with the included powder. Well, that didn't work. The concealer was almost the right color (too yellow, but right lightness), but the powder part was way too light. So I tried the powder as a light dusting all over my face, see if I could get rid of it that way. Nope. Chalky ghost face even with a fiber optic brush. So then I decided that the trash can was the best way to get rid of the powder. I used up a bunch of the concealer as a sticky eye base. Mostly, I think that was an unnecessary additional step to the routine. So then I mixed the dregs with some Monistat anti-chafing power and used it up as a "tinted primer." I will not buy this product again. Now, I'm using the part where the concealer was for a depotted eyeshadow that's just the right size, and I'm keeping powders I do like in the bottom. Eventually, it'll make its way into a travel/after gym type kit.

The meh:
Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer spf 30 sunblock sample

I got this in the Sephora Sun Care kit. This stuff was ok - not great, not bad. I probably won't buy it again because I'm not convinced that the avobenzone is photostable.

(Since Sept. 2, 2010)
145 items gone
52 full size items gone

1 comment:

  1. I also received that Pantene sample. I didn't like it at all. Used it as a shave gel to get rid of it! And yay for more products gone! I'm going to start an end of the month post of used up products! You have been so motivating to me!

    ReplyDelete