Saturday, December 5, 2009

Search for replacement foundation

I've been wearing Everyday Minerals matte foundation in Golden Fair for about a year and a half now, and I only have a sample-sized jar left of it. When I want heavier coverage, I use their pressed foundation in Fair Yellow (discontinued), and I've hit pan on that. There's about a silver dollar's worth of pan showing, and all the rest of the product is hanging around the edges.

As mentioned two entries back, I've decided to take the bulk of my makeup purchases to other companies due to some recent changes at EM. I need new foundation, and I'd like it to perform at least as well, if not better, than EM. Besides, they don't even make my color of pressed foundation anymore.

Requirements:
1. not be full of crap.
2. match my fair, but golden/warm toned skin.
3. cover unevenness, occasional acne, and my surgical scar (which is mostly pretty faded by now).
4. not break me out.
5. not make me oilier than normal or make the occasional dry spots stand out
6. have some sun protection in it
7. not cost an arm and a leg.

Ideally, I'd like one buildable one for days when I want sheerer coverage, and one heavier coverage one.

So far, I'm doing better with samples for the sheer stuff than I am for heavier coverage.

Sheer/buildable:
Meow Cosmetics Pampered Puss in Sleek Chartreux seems to be a good match - will update on performance later. $23.95 for a quarter cup of the stuff isn't bad, either. It's twice as much as EM's foundations, but for at least four times the product.

Silk Naturals: I got samples of the original formula, and on their forum foundation matching maven Jen W's advice, tried the Warm Gold. I mixed one part of that with 10 of the Ivory (white foundation base), and it blended into my skin really well when I swatched it.

I'd also like to try adorned with Grace, but not a lot of her shades look fair enough, so I might have to mix. Aromaleigh could be promising as well, but their foundation is more expensive than I'd like.

EM's pressed foundation is unique in the affordable mineral makeup market, and if they still had Fair Yellow, I'd probably still buy it, even if it was just a tad too yellow. Instead, I'm on the prowl for something else to wear when I'm dressed up that can also serve the double-duty of layering over my undereye concealer.

Earthen Glow Minerals makes a couple mousse foundations that look promising, but since they don't have the ingredients lists available online, I'm waiting on a response from them about what's in it. If they don't include any of my allergens or other no, thanks ingredients, I might give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment