Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunblock Sunday: DeVita Solar Body Block SPF 30+


I have been wanting to try this for a long time, but didn't want to make a special order on Lucky Vitamin just for it, so I was thrilled to find a place, Pure Complexions, that sells samples. I like that it's relatively inexpensive for a "natural" sunblock and doesn't have a lot of occlusive ingredients. The texture is also really amazing. There are concerns among some denizens of the reviewerverse that it doesn't provide the sun protection that it says it does, but I wonder if they're just not using an appropriate amount, or if they're sweating it off and then not reapplying.

But back to the texture - it's a very lightweight cream with a bit of a gel consistency. I found it nicely moisturizing but not too thick. It seemed to do well under makeup. My main reservation with this stuff is that I noticed that my eyes seemed to water for a little after application. 
 Look at my face - there's not a huge difference in how the two sides look, which is how it should be.

I don't know if I'll buy the full size yet or not - I'm leaning towards yes, but I also think that this will probably be more of a winter product for me. I can't say I really tested it well enough to say that I didn't burn because I used this or I didn't burn because I wasn't outside in bright enough sun long enough.
The deets:

Size - 7 oz.
Price - (MSRP) $27.95 - but you can get it at Lucky Vitamin for 17.49 (plus six bucks shipping)
Availability - hippie marts, Devita's website, Lucky Vitamin (and similar)
Dollars per ounce - $4 (at retail) $2.50 (on LV)

SPF - 30+
Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 19%
Inactive Ingredients:Aloe barbadensis* (aloe vera gel), Water (purified), Camellia sinensis (Japanese green tea) leaf extract, Capric/caprylic triglycrides (derived from coconut oil), Glycerin (vegetable), Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), Olea europeaea (olive) oil, Lecithin phospholipid, Hyaluronic acid (vegan source), Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, Squalane (olive), Panthenol (vitamin B5), Tocopherol (vitamin E), NaPCA, Rose moschata (rose hips) oil, Retinol (vitamin A), Centella asiatica (Gotu Kola), Copper gluconate, Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, Fucus vesiculosis (seaweed) extract, Allantoin, Sodium riboflavin phosophate, Chondrus crispus (Irish moss), Lavandula officinalis (lavender) essential oil, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) flower essential oil, Vitis vinifera (grape) seed extract.

Will you be trying this out? Have you tried it? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment